We all have days when life seems to be difficult and defeating. During these days, most of us tend to only focus on the darkness in life and miss out on appreciating what we already have.
Expressing gratitude means being grateful and appreciative of things we already have, even small things that we experience in everyday life. When we take out time to focus on the good things in our life, it tends to give a boost to our self-esteem, making us happier and more positive in life.
Appreciating the goodness in our lives not only makes us happier, but also enables us to open our arms to the good things to come in future.
How should I do it?
- Take out 15 minutes just before you are ready to sleep, and think about all the good things or people around you that made you smile in the day. It could be anything big or small such as a stranger who gave you a seat in the metro, someone who helped you cross the road or the fact that you had your favorite dish for dinner. Reminisce about the good things that happened during the day.
- When you have a clear recollection of the positive aspects of the day, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Deep breathing will help you focus on your inner self and will take you away from the distractions of the moment.
- As you take deep breaths, connect with the universe/superpower/your idol/anyone you believe in, and thank them for all that you have.
- You may want to say “thank you” aloud or in your heart, the key is to express in a way which enables you to feel it within.
- Practice this activity every night and in less than two weeks you are bound to feel happier and more positive.
“Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy
Post a comment